John Wooden was a philosopher without even realizing it. His perfectly succinct and simple sayings inspired many thousands of young college basketball players at UCLA and many more individuals far and wide—many of whom never stepped foot on a basketball court to hear the words straight from his mouth. That’s how powerful his words were.
John Wooden’s own favorite saying was “Make each day your masterpiece.” But everyone has their favorite “Woodenism,” as many fans of the humble philosopher call his motivational quotes. Here are 17 of John Wooden’s most famous “Woodenisms.”
2. 'Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.'Click To Tweet
7. 'Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.'Click To Tweet
9. 'Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.'Click To Tweet
10. 'Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.'Click To Tweet
12. 'You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one.'Click To Tweet
Did we leave your favorite “Woodenism” off the list? Share with us in the comments below.
Explore TheWoodenEffect.com for more blogs and videos about John Wooden’s legacy.